Almost half the population ages 40 and up, report problems with sleep. Women especially at midlife seem to have the most issue with it. So for your next night time snack, just choose one of these 5 fruits and you will be sleeping like a baby in no time.
Is The Sandman On Vacation?
Sleep problems in midlife can be caused by medications or just plain worrying about the responsibilities of life. I have spent many a night worrying about an upcoming bill, my aging parents or the job I disliked going to everyday. Everyone goes through these nights of tossing and turning a couple of times a month. If you throw hormone shifts in the mix, you can get insomnia or breaks in your sleep cycle that can happen for a very long time. No sleep or not enough sleep and well .. it’s not pretty is it? One bad night for me and I am foggy and irritable the next day. Several nights of lost sleep in a row and I am ready for a straight jacket. Needing help, I have done some research that allows me to have a bedtime snack and benefit from it.
Bedtime Snack Anyone?
This is going to go against everything you were probably taught about eating before bedtime. But, so far I have tried most of these and they really seem to help. Remember, not to go overboard by eating too much. Too much of anything before you lay down can cause you digestive upset. And also keep in mind that there is a lot of research being done concerning antioxidants and sleep so there might even be more fruit added to this list in the future. Without further ado, here are the 5 fruits that can lull you to dreamland.
5 Fruits You Should Snack on Before Bed
- Cherries are a great source of Melatonin which is a chemical we release to control our internal sleep clock. Research suggest that tart cherry juice as well, is the perfect before sleep drink. It seems that a handful of cherries or a glass of juice, about an hour before bed, not only helps us fall asleep but increases our duration of sleep as well.
- Bananas have 2 ways to helps us sleep. They contain Potassium and Magnesium which are natural muscle relaxants. Perfect for helping to sink into that mattress. And they also contain something called tryptophan, which converts to Serotonin (a relaxing neurotransmitter) and as well Melatonin. Wow, who knew??
- Grapes also contain Melatonin but you would need more than a handful to get the same results as cherries.
- Passion Fruit is great for those times when worry is keeping you awake. It contains a sedative chemical called Harmon which helps with restlessness and anxiety.
- Kiwi is a fruit that in a recent study was found to have made an exciting link between sleep and antioxidant rich foods. Volunteers who ate 2 kiwis one hour before bed, were more likely to sleep deeper and longer than those who didn’t. It’s also another fruit that contains high levels of Serotonin. So enjoy 2 kiwis before bed and the Sandman should come knocking.
I have tried several of these fruits already and I can say that they really help me sleep and not wake up. I have yet to try passion fruit but as soon as I can get my hands on one, I am looking forward to the effects of Harmon 🙂
Do you have a snack routine that helps with sleep? Please leave a comment below so we can try it too. And always remember, to speak to your Doctor about your sleep issues as well. Sometimes we need more help than just a bedtime snack.
Happy munching and even better zzzzzz’s